Tuesday 28 July 2009

No longer homeless

I am pleased to report that we have rented a new flat for a month, by which time we hope the flat we are purchasing will have settled and we can move into our nice new home. At least now, while we wait for settlement, we will not have to live under a bridge, at least not until after the end of August.

It has been a frantic few days, of trying to organise a short-term rental flat, find carpet cleaners for our current flat and removalists to ferry us and our numerous boxes of belongings from the current flat to the new one. We have to be out of the current flat by Monday, 3 August. All of this organising has, of course, been made even more difficult by the fact I am currently in Bolton while G is on a plane to Monaco (hurray to mobile phones and the Internet). But, finally, all seems to be booked and organised, leaving me free to enjoy the delights of Bolton.

I haven't seen our new one-month flat, but G saw it last night and assures me it is neither bug nor rat infested. We were so desperate yesterday, those two requirements became our sole criteria for finding a new flat. It's only a month, right? How bad can it be? I just hope I don't come to regret that optimism.

I expect entries on this blog will be somewhat sporadic for the next month, as G and I live without Internet, amongst packing boxes in our one-month flat. I will endeavour to update the blog as often as possible, even if that means I have to make the great sacrifice of using my working hours to do so.

In the meantime, I look forward to handing the keys to our current flat back to our landlord and saying goodbye to his hideous gold cockroach picture on the wall. I also look forward to no longer having to worry about our landlord letting himself into the house unannounced when we're not home (as he has in the past). Hopefully our one-month landlord will be tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment