Friday 24 July 2009

back amongst the packing boxes in london

Home in London at last! Although I'm now surrounded by packing boxes.

G and I are learning the hard way the trials and tribulations of the London property market. I may soon be posting this blog from inside a cardboard box.

So, how did this sorry tale begin? We decided to take advantage of others' misfortunes and purchase a flat. The one upside of the recession seemed to be that London flats became affordable. So, we traipsed around and saw numerous flats. In the process, we discovered a whole new language, where "popular block" = scary local authority housing block (BYO knife) and "full of character" = ensure you bring a stack hat and work boots to view the property.

Finally we found a great flat in Islington. Two bedrooms, roof-terrace, modern kitchen and affordable - it seemed a bargain! Admittedly it smelt like someone had been sitting in it for the last year repeatedly farting, but we assumed that smell would go with the current owner.

Unfortunately, what no one told us was that what we saved in money would more than be made up for in stress, as we are now on the painful path of negotiating with incompetent conveyancing lawyers, banks and more incompetent conveyancing lawyers. The lawyers can't tell us when we'll be able to "exchange contracts" (or have a done deal) and seem to be racking up the fees in all sorts of bizarre searches required by the bank. For example, did you know that in London, you have to pay someone to tell you whether your flat is in sufficiently close proximity to a church to require you (by statute) to contribute to the church's maintenance and upkeep? No, nor did I. We're learning all sorts of strange things in this process.

Our lawyer is also sadly the most incompetent man I've met. I telephoned him today to complain that he hadn't sent me the various documents I need to review, and which he promised he would send. His response: "you have to understand that this is the holiday time of the year, and most of the people in our office are on holiday"! Argh!!

So, by the time I next come to post on this blog, I may be a dribbling, crazy mess if this process drags out much longer. And a homeless mess as our lease is due to expire on 3 August and we have nowhere to live. So, look forward to reading posts from my cardboard box, as I wipe the drool from my chin and stab my little voodoo doll of a conveyancing lawyer with pins!

No comments:

Post a Comment