Sunday 3 July 2011

A quick update on summer in London

G and I have been managing to make the most of our time in London this summer.  The weather so far has been pretty patchy, ranging from blisteringly hot days (of 30 degrees, which feels much hotter in London than it sounds) down to rainy, dreary days.  Those hot days are usually spent in the sun - picnics in parks or get togethers on friends' roof terraces, drinking and eating and getting a solid dose of vit D. Last weekend the temperature hit around 32 degrees, and I celebrated by running to Hampstead Heath, going for a swim in the ponds and then running home.  It was delightful.  In fact, even though it's only mid-20s today, I'm contemplating repeating the experience.  


We have also been enjoying the theatre.  Recently we saw Rory Kinnear in Hamlet at the National Theatre.  It was about four hours of theatre, but was so good it felt it was over in a flash.  I also went with C to see Luise Miller at the Donmar.  It was beautifully done, but I would be lying if I said the play itself was one of my favourites.  Last week we saw Andrew Upton's version of The Cherry Orchard at the National Theatre.  This is a play that has been getting very mixed reviews, from those who did not mind the translation and found aspects of it brilliant and those who did like it to those who have difficulties with the Australian Upton's translation.  Perhaps it's because I'm Australian, but I really enjoyed the modern translation.  

Tomorrow night we're off to see Ghost Stories.  Not nearly so highbrow, but I'm very much looking forward to it.  I saw Woman in Black a couple of years ago in London and admit to screaming during the show - it was fantastic.  If I get the chance this week, I'll let you know how Ghost Stories goes.    

2 comments:

  1. Jealous you made it to the Ponds and they were open and you got a swim!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to come back to London so you can join me (remember you promised!)...

    ReplyDelete